Sunday 10 March 2013

The Ant & The Fly

Some more poetry from yesteryear...


The Ant and the Fly

From the crack in the kitchen door
I’ve been watching you my dear friend fly
Sometimes I see you from the corner of my eye
And I think “how lucky am I”

I too fear the monsters when they trod on me
But when I see the weaponry they use on you
I realise the way I live is much less risky
They come after you holding some contraption
Out of its mouth comes a spray of poison
That dampens your wings and chokes you to death
I have seen many of your relatives fall to the ground
They land by our doorstep and we take them in
Try and give them a decent burial before they are swept away

My dear friend ant
Have you not heard of the promised land
Lucky for me I can fly there
It is called outside
There are other kinds of monsters
The ones with fur
You can live on their bodies
Your cousin the tick does so
I come here everyday because of less competition
The food is a lot tastier
But to get to it is viscious
 Here I get to mingle with the likes of you
At night time I share jokes with another kind
His name is mosquito

Dear friend fly
The promised land is not all its cracked out to be
Apparently your life can end in the blink of an eye
Of course there is freedom but the hazards are greater
And starvation is ominous
You find a friend like you driven to desperation
Forced to eat a friend like me
I wish I could fly
Just like you high in the sky
So this other kind has wings?
Have never heard of them
Tell me more of this mosquito

My dear friend ant
Mosquito is king
He will one day wipe out all of the monsters
They fear him
And at night their tools of combat are murderous
While resting on the wall I have seen
The elimination of his kind is most obscene

His lovely wife
So beautiful
With legs to die for
Her legs are striped black and white
And she is the most feared by the monsters
For she leaves them with her essence

Dear friend fly
You talk of essence
This mosquito’s wife sounds deadly
Beautifully striped legs
She sounds like that exotic lady
Remind me of her name?
Premantus?
Who devours her husband
After he has satisfied her

No no my dear friend ant
Mosquito’s wife is only deadly to the monster
The way they took her out was horrendous
She settled on a monster
Got ready to suck his blood
He felt her on his skin
Reached out his hand
And in one swift movement
BANG!

That was the last I ever heard of my dear friend fly
He died instantly
Killed by a monster’s swat
He fell to the ground
And in that exact moment
I decided to run away
With my family we now live in a flower bed
Hoping one day to reach
The promised land
With a dream of a King that would one day rule
With his beautiful striped legged mosquito wife





No comments:

Post a Comment